Summer Institute - Second Year
Summer Institute 2 occurs following a Scholars' second year of college. Please see below for detailed information.
DePaul (June 17, 2018 - July 14, 2018)
Directors: Sara Baar-Ledford and Susie Lessner
Assistant Director: Natalie Rodriquez
IMSA @ Saint Xavier University (June 6, 2018 - July 7, 2018)
Director: Joe Matuch
Assistant Director: Jon Reiman
Summer Institute 2 will focus on 5 core competencies:
1. Cultural Competency
- Develop an understanding of the role as an educator and as a change-agent, be aware of the cultural diversity in the school community, and implement a culturally aware and diverse learning community in the classroom.
2. Instructional Best Practices
- Learn best practices in personalized learning instruction, classroom management, social emotional learning, high need content areas, and understand backwards-mapping assessment design and data-informed instruction;
- Learn about the components of co-teaching and collaboration with colleagues and students of diverse backgrounds and ideas; socio-economic, urban/rural, race, ethnicity;
- Deepen understanding of how to implement, manage, and apply technology integration and personalized learning.
3. Growth Mindset
- Develop strategies to become a reflective practitioner; using reflection to learn how to make instructional decisions;
4. Civic Engagement
- Continue to development of civic and community engagement using cognitive applications that align with Common Core State Standards.
5. Professional Expectations and Transition to First Teaching Position
- Work with students and educators during on-site experiences in schools-of-need to develop the skills to be active members of professional learning communities;
- Learn about teacher assessment models as professionals in Illinois via Danielson model,
- Scholars will develop these best practices, skills, and strategies through coursework and working with students during on-site experiences in PreK-12 settings in schools-of-need.